By Tara Capel from @theplantryco
This Smoked Sesame Cream Cheese is a great dairy-free substitute for your regular cream cheese. It’s smoky, salty and creamy, and has a delicious sesame flavour.
HOW TO MAKE SMOKED SESAME CREAM CHEESE
This smoked sesame cream cheese is made with raw cashews, sesame seeds, EveryOrganics smoked salt and smoked olive oil, nutritional yeast and plant-based milk. Add all of the ingredients to a high-speed blender until combined together well.
Cashews: Ensure you soak your cashews for a minimum of four hours. This is what gives the cream cheese a more creamy texture.
Sesame Seeds: Lightly toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan until slightly brown. While this step is optional, it does make the sesame flavor more pronounced. If you want the sesame flavor to be more subtle, skip this step.
EveryOrganics Smoked Salt and Olive Oil: Both the EveryOrganics Smoked Salt and EveryOrganics Smoked Olive Oil give the cream cheese its delicious smoky flavor. Both are infused with smoke from untreated wood to make a unique, smoky flavor. They are smoked in small batches in a traditional smoker and packed by hand.
Nutritional Yeast: This gives the cream cheese a slightly cheesy flavor.
Plant-Based Milk: Any plant-based milk will be fine to use in this recipe. However, ensure it does not contain sweeteners or flavors such as vanilla as this will impact the taste. I recommend any of the plant-based milks from PureHarvest.
PREPPING AND STORING
This cream cheese will store for up to a week in the fridge and is also freezer-friendly. Make double the batch to have on hand for a quick and easy addition to your lunch or dinner. If you freeze the cream cheese, you may need to give it a good stir once it has defrosted. This will thicken as it chills in the fridge or freezer; if you want it to have a thinner consistency, simply stir in a small amount of water or plant-based milk.
If you are looking for more dairy-free and vegan sauce or condiment swaps, you’ll also love these other sauce and condiment recipes.
If you like this recipe and decide to share it on Instagram, don’t forget to tag me @theplantryco and #theplantryco, I would love to see all your recreations!
Smoked Sesame Cream Cheese
This Smoked Sesame Cream Cheese is a great dairy-free substitute for your regular cream cheese. It’s smoky, salty, and creamy, and has a delicious sesame flavor.
PREP TIME: 10 mins
SOAK CASHEWS: 4 hrs
- High-speed blender
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup cashews, soaked
- 1 tsp EveryOrganics Smoked Salt
- 1 tbsp EveryOrganics Smoked Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- Place 1 cup of cashews in a bowl and cover with water, soak for at least 4 hours.
- Lightly toast 1 cup sesame seeds in a dry frying pan over low heat until slightly brown. This step is optional but it brings out the flavor of the sesame seeds. If you are after a more subtle sesame flavor, skip this step.
- Transfer sesame seeds to a high-speed blender and blend until sesame seeds are a fine powder.
- In the same blender, add 1 cup soaked cashews, 1 tsp EveryOrganics smoked salt, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, ½ cup plant-based milk, and 1 tbsp EveryOrganics smoked olive oil to the blender. Blend until combined.
- Transfer smoked sesame cream cheese to a jar and store in the fridge.